Advertisement

This past week I had the honor and opportunity to host another monthly Reiki share for the nurses and nursing students I have trained in Reiki Practice. Selfishly, I enjoy these shares, as it is a great way for me to receive the gift of self-care. AND in addition, I always find myself learning something from the group. One of the nursing students said something in our opening check-in that struck me: I certainly practice Reiki on myself regularly after our class. For some time, I kept up with the routine, but slowly... after a few months... I found myself forgetting to practice. Well, one day I realized I was spinning out of control. So I shut my door and offered Reiki. It was amazing... in no time- I felt calm, focused, and centered. I realized how much I was getting from practicing on a routine basis... It's something I've got to get back into..."
This past week I had the honor and opportunity to host another monthly Reiki share for the nurses and nursing students I have trained in Reiki Practice. Selfishly, I enjoy these shares, as it is a great way for me to receive the gift of self-care. AND in addition, I always find myself learning something from the group.
One of the nursing students said something in our opening check-in that struck me:
I certainly practice Reiki on myself regularly after our class. For some time, I kept up with the routine, but slowly... after a few months... I found myself forgetting to practice. Well, one day I realized I was spinning out of control. So I shut my door and offered Reiki. It was amazing... in no time- I felt calm, focused, and centered. I realized how much I was getting from practicing on a routine basis... It's something I've got to get back into..."
Does this sound vaguely familiar?
  • Maybe you recently took a workshop on healthy eating, but after a few weeks, the cost and time it takes to make the new foods gets in the way of your initial enthusiasm.
  • Or it could be that you recently took a dance class that lasted for several weeks. However, when it was over, did you find yourself not keeping up with any exercise at all?
  • Let's think about work. Has your organization ever implemented a new initiative to improve team work and communication? Why is it that after the honeymoon period ends we go back to the 'same old way' of doing things?
Being Proactive = Enjoying Productivity
I was driving home from a talk the other day, listening to a podcast that was recommended to me by a fellow nurse entrepreneur. The host was interviewing a guest on his views on saving/spending money. Something he said in the conversation struck me as extremely interesting:
Will power is a waste of time."  -Ramit Sethi
I completely agreed with this perspective. Will power is a waste of our efforts as we are spending our energy on something when we could be using it more effectively elsewhere.
Productivity Enhances Nursing Practice
So how can we approach our nursing careers in a proactive way? Let's talk about three ways we can enjoy productivity in our professional practice:
  1. Get Clear on Your Goals. The first thing you've got to do if you want to kick your nursing career into high gear is get clear on what it is you truly want. When we realize we want to make a shift (in any area of our lives, really) the great awareness comes from realizing the difference between where we are (point A) and where we'd like to be (point B). Once we are clear about this divide, we can start to take action steps to move ourselves closer to our goals. So ask yourself, 'Where do I want to see myself with respect to my nursing career?' And step two, when you get some answers... listen!
  2. Learn Something New. All of us reading (as long as you are a nurse) have been through some sort of nursing education. And while they taught us wonderful things in nursing school related to skills, knowledge and theory- there is much that is left out of the curriculum. Healthcare is shifting, my friend. And the very best way to be proactive in your approach to these changes is to learn something new outside of nursing. Don't get me wrong- staying up to date on your specialty and nursing skill-set is imperative to your success. ANDadding to it is a great way to set yourself up as an efficient, productive, and proactive colleague!
  3. Ask For and Receive Help. Now this is a two-for-one special, for ya. Sure, the first step is to ask for help... the second is being able to receive it. We live in a giving/taking universe- look around you for many examples. We can learn how to give and receive from our friends in nature. Tides roll in and out. Moons rise and fall. Leaves bloom, die, and fall. Giving and taking is part of the natural flow. So I know you are a great giver (you're a nurse!); now it's time to take. Take, take and take so that you are full of life and can give to others. This is another way to proactively participate in your nursing practice.
I'd love to hear from you; leave a comment below! What would you add to this list? Which tools do you turn to in a proactive way that help you to show up professionally in your career?
iTech Dunya

iTech Dunya

iTech Dunya is a technology blog that specializes in guides, reviews, how-to's, and tips about a broad range of tech-related topics..

Post A Comment:

0 comments: