Advertisement

Apple Watch I bought my first computer in 1980 and was dialing in to online services that same year. I built my first site in 1995, shopped online and auctioned on eBay in 1996, started blogging in 2003, uploaded my first YouTube video in 2006, purchased the first iPhone for $600 in 2007 and had one of the first thousands apps in the appstore in 2008. I've owned Apple computers dating back to AppleIIe and enjoyed almost every variety of Mac since inception. I also use PCs as I am a computer gamer. Apple just doesn't compare in that arena. I've owned iPods, iPhones and iPads over the years.
Why I Don't Own an Apple Watch

Apple Watch

I bought my first computer in 1980 and was dialing in to online services that same year.

I built my first site in 1995, shopped online and auctioned on eBay in 1996, started blogging in 2003, uploaded my first YouTube video in 2006, purchased the first iPhone for $600 in 2007 and had one of the first thousands apps in the appstore in 2008.

I've owned Apple computers dating back to AppleIIe and enjoyed almost every variety of Mac since inception.

I also use PCs as I am a computer gamer. Apple just doesn't compare in that arena.

I've owned iPods, iPhones and iPads over the years.

The only reason I'm rolling out my long history of technology use is to make one thing clear. I am an early adopter, if not occasionally a pioneer. I love checking out the latest tech and grabbing that which I believe is worthwhile long before many are even aware that the technology exists.

Of course, when it came to Apple Watch it was impossible to not be aware of its pending release.

Wearable technology is in the news and the media was all abuzz about Apple's first major post-Steve Jobs initiative. As the world's wealthiest corporation, pundits questioned whether Apple could err at all.

I stopped wearing a wristwatch about three years ago. With an iPhone in my pocket, I found no compelling reason to continue wearing one. To find the time I would merely reach into my pocket and look at my phone.

After decades of wearing a wristwatch, liberating my left arm from the timepiece was liberating. Since I rarely wore a watch for fashion reasons, leaving the watch behind meant one less thing for me to keep up with.

So when the hype machine for the Apple Watch began, I wasn't interested. Not even a little.

I couldn't imagine what features the watch would have that would make it compelling enough for me to put it on my wrist. I didn't bother reading much about it and I didn't go to an Apple store to see one.

The first time I saw one was shortly after people started getting theirs. I noticed a friend had one on his wrist and I asked if he liked it. At that time, he wasn't certain. I asked if I could see it.

After asking a few questions to understand how it worked, I played with his watch for a couple minutes. I was bored with it almost instantaneously and handed it back to him. (Insert yawn here...)

I've not felt like I'm missing a thing by not having an Apple Watch. However, my friend <a href="http://tombeal.com/applewatch" target="_blank">Tom Beal recently did a podcast</a> sharing why he absolutely loves his Apple Watch.

Wanting to keep an open mind, I decided to listen to his show to see if he would say something that would make me want to take a second look. I'm not above saying I am wrong, and perhaps I was secretly hoping that his take would win me over to taking the plunge.

It didn't happen.

As he discussed the convenience of using his Apple Watch to communicate faster with friends, trigger Siri commands, receive driving directions, use the workout app, make phone calls, call for an Uber and manage his travel all without removing his phone from his pocket, I was excited that HE was excited about the technology.

But none of the functionality he described (which is all available by pulling your phone out of your pocket) provided a compelling enough reason for me to start wearing a watch again. Not even close.

That said, I totally get why Tom loves his watch. For his needs, his wants and his lifestyle, it makes complete sense. I'm thrilled that he loves his watch, and you'll never find me bashing people who wear one. That's just silly.

We're all unique individuals and there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to taste and personal preference.

However, this article is titled "Why I Don't Wear an Apple Watch," and not "Why No One Should Wear an Apple Watch."

I'm happy to keep my wrist tech-free, at least for the time being. I wouldn't be surprised if a second or third iteration of Apple Watch, or that of some other manufacturer, creates enough excitement for me to purchase and habitually wear/use a device that resides on my wrist.

I just know that the time is not now. The Apple Watch is undoubtedly an interesting gadget for some, but for me it isn't anything revolutionary. And frankly, I personally don't even find it all that interesting.

What about you? Did you purchase an Apple Watch? If so, are you still wearing it? If not, why not? Please share your thoughts!

Joel Comm
Written by

iTech Dunya

iTech Dunya

iTech Dunya is a technology blog that specializes in guides, reviews, how-to's, and tips about a broad range of tech-related topics..

Post A Comment:

0 comments: