Advertisement

Tomorrow is Today: iPhone, ROI and committing to Future Recently I was at a party and the gadget lovers that we are, the conversation turned to SmartPhones. Someone bought a new iPhone, and I said he made a good choice. One of the guys said, ‘yea, but it’s too expensive.’ I said ‘Expensive? That’s not how I would describe it. It pays me every month more than I pay for it.’ ‘what do you use it for?' I asked. ‘I make phone calls. I text, and check out information on web sites, and use one or two other apps.' I said, ’No wonder you’re paying too much for your iPhone.' Being in technology industry for a long time, this is a movie I’ve seen before over and over with my Customers. Pattern is simple. People often attach too much emphasis on a product and complain about it’s cost, and not enough on the context or usage.
Tomorrow is Today: iPhone, ROI and committing to Future

Tomorrow is Today: iPhone, ROI and committing to Future

Recently I was at a party and the gadget lovers that we are, the conversation turned to SmartPhones. Someone bought a new iPhone, and I said he made a good choice.
One of the guys said, ‘yea, but it’s too expensive.’
I said ‘Expensive? That’s not how I would describe it. It pays me every month more than I pay for it.’
‘what do you use it for?' I asked.
‘I make phone calls. I text, and check out information on web sites, and use one or two other apps.'
I said, ’No wonder you’re paying too much for your iPhone.'
Being in technology industry for a long time, this is a movie I’ve seen before over and over with my Customers. Pattern is simple. People often attach too much emphasis on a product and complain about it’s cost, and not enough on the context or usage.
Think of iPhone as keys to the kingdom. You have the keys, but if you will not open the doors to new possibilities, then you will not realize any value from it. Amazingly people plunk down almost $1000 for a shiny new iPhone but hesitate paying for $2 apps. That’s like buying a Porsche and using it to drive to the grocery store.  
What is possible with a technology like an iPhone or Android? It’s no longer about making phone calls, e-mail, Text, listening to music, and browsing the web - all of which even Blackberry used to do many years ago. But now with touch interface and the power of Cloud, you can do what was not possible before - in shorter bursts of time you may have available:
  • Remotely check security of your Home. Close that forgotten garage door.  
  • Calculate your Blood Alcohol concentration so you stay safe after a party
  • Pay Bills; pay anyone 
  • Make all kinds of travel reservations with just couple of taps
  • Remotely access your computer
  • Track your health for a healthier lifestyle. How about an automated personal coach cheering you throughout the day to help you keep fit.
  • Make restaurant reservations; buy tickets 
  • create all kinds of content and manage relationships, connections, fans and followers 
  • scheduling and getting things done 
  • save on shopping and get all kinds of deals
  • VOIP or video chat with family or friends around the world for $0
  • … the list goes on and on
I’m not listing any Apps, as this post is not about iPhone advice. You simply have to spend some time in the AppStore to understand the potential and see the possibilities. Read reviews of other users. You will find amazing insights. I’d go so far as to say - it’s costing you too much if you’re not using a smartphone today. You just don’t know it. How.   
Particularly in business context, my point of view (about any enabling technology) is this:
  • If you live in the past: any new technology is too expensive. Stop. You’re paying too much for it. It’s like buying a cemetery where money goes to die.
  • if you know how to enhance the experience of the present, you will get some value and enjoy it.
  • If you can see the future for yourself or for your business (i.e., have a Vision), you could get incredible amount of value from technology, as the possibilities are endless.
Technology is not the future. It enables and extends your capabilities to reach the future. And, FUTURE IS YOURS if you can see it, and know how to leverage the technology to make tomorrow today. 
So, next time you have a decision to make - look into the future, and then decide. If your decision is future oriented, then you’re making an investment. If it’s status quo (usually inaction), then you’re spending it away. 
We help our Customers see the future scenarios in their business with Analytics. They realize amazing ROI. How? Simple. ROI takes care of itself if you can see the possibilities, have a solid plan to make the imagination a reality, and commit to it with resources and action.  

Commit to your Future.  

PS:  now just for the kicks, go do something amazing with your SmartPhone that you haven’t done before and share it with a friend or family. 
iTech Dunya

iTech Dunya

iTech Dunya is a technology blog that specializes in guides, reviews, how-to's, and tips about a broad range of tech-related topics..

Post A Comment:

0 comments: